Monday, December 14, 2009

my weekend 'sola'

Brittany and LC were both traveling this weekend, so I had the apartment to myself. It was nice to spend some time alone and regroup (although I really missed my online tv time with Brittany at night). It turned out to be a really great weekend. Saturday was a big day at the cathedral. All of the Episcopal priests from the Bogota area reunited to share time together and talk about their missions. There was a big mass followed by a great lunch. Looking around, I discovered that I knew the majority of the people in the room. It was a great feeling realizing how much a part of this community I have become. 
A woman (leaving out her name to protect her privacy) who was there with Father Carlos to represent the parish in Soacha. She was displaced from her home, with her four kids, a little over a year ago. During breaks, we talked about her kids and her situation. She invited me to her house for lunch after the service in Soacha on Sunday.  
The next morning, I took the 1.5+ hour bus ride back to Soacha for church at 11am. Afterwards, I left with her and her family and we walked to where she lives. When we arrived, I noticed that the roof was basically a sheet of metal. I met the owner of the house and made my way to the rooms that belong to her family. All six family members sleep in one bedroom and have a kitchen area without a roof. I took the kids to a park nearby and we played soccer. We talked and ate lunch (chicken feet) and then I left for my return trip to Bogota. It was a great afternoon and I learned again what it means to truly give...this loving family had very little and yet they shared what they had with me...another treasured gift from Bogota. 
Novena starts on Wednesday and it's going to be a very busy 9 days. We have a lot planned and I'm really excited about the entire experience. I'll keep you updated!

Love, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment