Wednesday, February 3, 2010

plans for 'dos mil diez'

NEW ("STRICT") SCHEDULE IN USME
While the kids were on vacation Brittany and I met with Padre Romero and were told that we needed to be “extra strict” when they returned. So, they’re back and we’re committing the first hour after lunch to having them write in the journals we gave them and helping them with homework. If they behave well during 'homework time' (and so far so good), then we spend time playing a game (bingo is their favorite). We spend the rest of our time (until 4 pm) teaching them English/health class. Like last year, if they behave well, they get a star at the end of the day on the 'star chart'…I’m happy to report we have a LOT of star students!

USME HEALTH CLASSES
A big part of our after school program this year is going to be dedicated to health related issues. Brittany and I have decided to focus on nutrition, conflict management and hygiene. We’re also planning to teach them about the risks & consequences of getting involved with drugs, violence, and gangs. Unfortunately all of these kids live in a high risk neighborhood, so anything we can offer to provide them with an alternative is really important. I have spent the last five months getting to know and love every one of them and their potential is limitless.

VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
Brittany and I are planning 3 weeks of VBS this spring/summer at Soacha, Usme, and the cathedral. We are really excited about this and so are the missions. If anyone knows of a place to get materials, songs, or videos in Spanish, please let me know! We're thinking that we're going to have a 'camp/adventure' theme and I know the kids are going to love it!

SOACHA AIDS EDUCATION
We’ve been talking with Padre Carlos about opportunities for AIDS/HIV education in Soacha, and how we can help to get it started. Carlos has been collaborating with some psychologists who could help the people of Soacha, so we’re anxious to meet with them too and get this program off and running. I have been so fortunate in getting to know some of the displaced families in the congregation and can't wait to work with them more closely.

CATHEDRAL
The cathedral is our home and we are planning to support this congregation by continuing with the weekend workshops for families from the poor neighborhood above us. Hopefully, now that the Christmas season is over, they will continue to come to church. While I was shopping in Exito a few days ago, I saw a woman from that neighborhood and her daughter ran up to give hugs to Brittany and me. She asked me when the next "taller" (workshop) is, so that's a good sign! The first one is February 6th and it will be great to see everyone again.

SPANISH CLASSES
Brittany and I have been up early every morning taking spanish classes with Alejandro, a man from our church. He's a great teacher and we are doing a lot of reading and speaking in Spanish.

TRAVEL
Finally, we are hoping to visit missions all over Colombia this year. We are looking into opportunities in Cali, Medellin, Barranquilla, Quibdo, Bucaramanga, etc... I have also been in contact with the Diocese of Connecticut. They are planning a mission trip to Cartagena in June that Brittany and I are excited to help with.

I hope that everyone is having a great start to 2010. Thanks again for all of your support and love as I start my 6th month here!

Love, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment