Thursday, August 6, 2009

Flight is booked!

On August 24, 2009 around 1pm I will leave Maryland for Colombia (with a quick layover in Newark). My new life in Bogota will become a reality in less than 3 weeks and I'm so excited! This has been a great summer and I have been able to spend lots of time with my wonderful family and friends. I have a few more things to take care of, but am just about ready to go.

Thanks to the generous support of so many people, I am very close to reaching my fundraising goal. There will be a send-off concert on August 22 at All Saints Episcopal Church in Sunderland, MD (corner of rt2 and rt 4) from 4-7pm. All proceeds will be used to support my trip. Everyone is welcome and I'd love to see you there!

In general, I have received lots of positive, encouraging responses about my placement, but some have expressed their concerns about going to such a 'dangerous' country. Colombia definitely has a reputation and is struggling to overcome it's past. As I have researched more and more about the country, and have met with people from Bogota, I am so excited about my placement. To be honest, at first I shared some of those same reservations and was nervous about spending a year in a war torn country. After learning so much about Colombia, I am more determined than ever to do what I can to help in this country's efforts to turn itself around and move on from it's violent past. Colombia is still plagued by paramilitary and rebel groups displacing families and drug trafficking, but it has so much to offer and the few people I have met from there have been so amazing. I can't wait to get started!
Love, kate

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kate!
    I'm so excited for you! HAve a wonderful few weeks at home and a safe flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are leaving the same day :)
    Safe travels to you love!

    ReplyDelete