Friday, August 21, 2009

Lemonade!

This past Monday, I was on my way home from picking up my Colombian visa (yes!!) and saw some of the neighborhood kids running a lemonade stand. I stopped by to get some of their delicious, homemade lemonade and they were accepting 'donations only' in return. Then they told me that they had raised over 100 dollars...and all of it was going to my mission fund!



The girl on the far left, Geneva, attends my church with her sister Sarah (the other girl in the pink), and they woke up that morning with the idea. It was even Geneva's birthday! So many people have gone above and beyond in helping me prepare for my trip, and this is just one of the many touching moments I have experienced.

I take off on Monday (3 days!) and can't wait to get started. I have been talking with Audra and Laura-Catherine, the two YASCers that are there now, and they have been very helpful. It will be so nice to have them there when I first arrive to show me the ropes. On Monday, I will go straight from the Bogota airport to my homestay and will live there for the first month or so of my year in Colombia, while visiting the different missions and helping in the office. Living with a Colombian family should really help my spanish come back quickly!

I have spent the past few days saying goodbye to family and friends. Below is a picture of 8 of my 14 cousins and my boyfriend Sam (in the light blue) around me at my goodbye party. This is right after the family all sang 'hasta la vista to you'. haha It was a great send-off and I'm going to miss all of them a ton. I'll be looking forward to getting visitors throughout my year in Colombia!




3 more days until the big journey begins. I'm so excited! Thanks again to everyone who has made it possible. Love, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment