Friday, November 27, 2009

feliz dia de accion de gracias!

After waking up and talking to some friends and family, I felt like I was missing out on a big thanksgiving celebration back home. I was thinking about the football games I wouldn't be watching, my family and friends around the big table in the back porch, and of course 'black friday' shopping in my pajamas... Little did I know that my Thanksgiving day in Bogota would be one to remember.

Brittany and I headed out to Usme and taught the kids about our special holiday. They really latched on to the turkey part of it and started calling it 'dia de pavo' (turkey day). We asked them what else they thought that we ate on Thanksgiving. Their answers ranged from platano to arroz (rice) to soup (all very colombian foods). We taught them that Thanksgiving day is all about giving thanks. We had them all make turkeys out of their hands to bring home to their family. We also made hands with their names and 4 things that they are thankful for. They colored them all and put them on a big turkey that Brittany drew (she's so talented). Here's the final result:





After we left Usme, we met up with Ferney (a man from church) and went to a Carlos Vives concert! Carlos Vives is a Grammy award winner from Colombia and was amazing in concert! He was full of energy and a great entertainer. The entire place was packed. Luckily, with Ferney's connections, Brittany and I were in the first section and could easily see Carlos and his band. Very cool.



So now I'm going to write some of things that I'm thankful for:
loving and supportive friends, boyfriend and family; being able to form such a special relationship with all of the kids in Usme; my new Colombian family (miriam and oscar, brittany and laura catherine, church community, bishop, etc..) who have all been so kind and welcoming; staying healthy over here; the opportunity to spend a year in this amazing country; ferney taking us to the Carlos Vives concert; bogota beer company (to watch NFL games); sunny days in Bogota (doesn't happen often); and lastly...visitors!

My Dad got in late Friday night and will be here until Thursday. We've been having a great week and I've been putting him to work. I will blog all about it next time!

Love, Kate

p.s. we even had a traditional thanksgiving dinner on Friday with about 15 people from the church community!

No comments:

Post a Comment