Monday, November 23, 2009

our weekend in usme

Brittany and I went to Usme on Saturday morning and had a great english class. On our way out, Father Romero convinced us to stay a couple more hours to decorate the chapel. Brittany and I worked on the carnations and bows along the pews. I wasn't too good at making the ribbons curl, but luckily Brittany had it down. We went to the service on Sunday and it was packed. It lasted about 2.5 hours, but there was lots of singing and even some dancing to keep it interesting. Brittany and I had to get back to the cathedral for a grilling event, but we stayed a little longer because we thought they were going to pop the big balloon in the middle of the chapel (check it out in the second picture)...but it never happened. Que lastima!


We eventually made it back to the cathedral and joined the congregation in an afternoon grilling get-together.  It went really well and I was able to get to know some more of the families that attend the church. Like I have mentioned before, this church is inviting people from a very poor neighborhood to attend workshops on communication, money management, relationships, etc.. every other Saturday. 

The first workshop was this past Saturday, when we got back from Usme. There were lots of parents there, with LOTS of kids. Laura-Catherine took the oldest group (8-11) and did a workshop with them. Brittany had the 5-7 year olds and they were a little crazy. In general, they don't get much discipline or attention at home, so they got a little out of hand. I took care of the 4 and under group. I soon learned that 3 year olds are too young to play duck, duck, goose. I ended up pulling out a jump rope and had them jump over it and play limbo. It was a lot of fun and they were so adorable!

My Dad is coming to visit on Friday and I can't wait to show him around. I think I'm going to put him to work on the hill in Usme next Saturday...if he can handle the bus trip :) Thanks for all the continued love and support.

Love, Kate

PS: here are some pictures from the bus that we use to get to Usme every other day:




No comments:

Post a Comment