Friday, January 15, 2010

the amazon!


On my second trip to Colombia, Kate and I decided to explore the Amazon. When Kate first brought up the prospect of trekking into the jungles of Colombia, I was skeptical to say the least. After a little research we discovered that the town of Leticia was not only safe, but an excellent starting point for an Amazonian tour. We booked our guides through Amazon Jungle Trips and at 9 o'clock Monday morning, Kate and I departed the small port town of Tapatinga, Brazil with our boat driver Jorge and his son Frank. It was a 2.5 hour trip down the Amazon and Javari rivers, and we were able to meet some locals from the village of
Gamboa as well as a monkey named Martina that a family had in its backyard.

When we arrived at Zacambu lodge, our base camp for our 5 day tour, it seemed as if we might have the place to ourselves. Our solitude did not last long, as we were soon joined by an Irishman, a group of 4 Americans (2 young sisters, their mom and their aunt) and a group of 6 Americans and 1 Colombian (most of whom were teachers in the northern Colombian town of Baranquilla). We ended up sharing a boat and guide (also named Jorge) with this group of 7, and Kate now has a great group of friends to visit.


I don't think either of us fully knew what to expect from the jungle, but each day was full of new adventures. From a three hour trek through the jungle where we viewed a variety of plant and animal life, to piranha fishing and pink dolphin spotting, Kate and I now have numerous once-in-a-lifetime memories that I never thought I would have the opportunity to experience. Some of the best times were even just relaxing on the river, enjoying each other's company, as well as that of our guides and new friends. On our last night at the lodge, we were lucky enough to view not only an amazing Amazonian sunset, but multiple pink and gray dolphins. It was a perfect ending to a great trip.




Returning to Leticia, we were able to enjoy a few of the luxuries we had missed...like cell phone service and a few ice cold beverages (only $.80 each). As our plane took off and we looked back on the vast sea of trees, all I could think of was Dr. Alan Grant when he leaves the island of Jurassic Park, and I couldn't believe the trip we had been loking forward to for so long was already over.

My second trip to Colombia not only opened my eyes to an entirely new world, it also made my appreciation for the city of Bogota grow immensely. Kate is amazing for all that she has done and all that she has learned while being down there. While it is difficult to be away from someone I love so much, I know that she is in the right place and that the Colombian people are fortunate to have her. I look forward to my return!


No comments:

Post a Comment