Saturday, January 9, 2010

hija mia!

It took a few minutes for it to sink in. I couldn't believe it, and still am having trouble comprehending this incredible loss. Arriving to Colombia about four months ago, I was nervous and didn't know what to expect. When Audra and Laura-Catherine dropped me off at Oscar and Myriam's apartment, I immediately felt at home. That first night, Oscar kept me up until 1am, telling me all about his family, his travel adventures, Colombian politics, how to stay safe in Bogota, etc...
Throughout my month living in their apartment, we shared meals together every day. We would alternate saying grace, and his would always be the longest, being sure not to leave anyone out, including my family and friends back home. He would always ask about my family and "tio sam" (his nickname for Sam). One morning, when I went to Bosa for the first time, he surprised me by waking up at 6:45am just to walk me to the transmilenio (metro) stop. He was always looking out for me.
I have spent time with his huge family through many reunions and dinners. He loved talking about his kids and grandchildren, and how much he missed them all the way in Canada. The church community loved him and he would always bring lighthearted humor to every service or meeting. Everyone at the apartment complex knew him and his jokes. Needless to say, he touched a lot of lives and will be missed greatly.
One of my favorite memories of Oscar happened about a month ago. I went to Exito (my favorite Colombian store..basically a "target") to buy my usual cornflakes and granola bars. As I was getting ready to check out, I saw Oscar walk in. I ran up to him and gave him a big hug. With a huge smile he told me that he was very happy to see me and that he was waiting for Myriam to get there. I decided to wait with him and we spent about 20 minutes talking on a bench in the women's clothing section. He always knew how to make me laugh and it was so nice to spend that special time together.
Like I mentioned in a recent blog from when my mom was here, we went out to dinner with Miriam, Oscar, Brittany and Andrew. Oscar didn't order dessert, but he knew that he could get away with eating over half of my bowl ice cream...and did. I know that my entire family is so grateful for all that he and Miriam have done for me. I'm so glad that my mom was able to express that to them in person that night.


After hearing the news yesterday, I thought about all of my special memories with Oscar on the plane back. Even though I only knew him for about four months, they are endless. When I arrived in Bogota last night, I gave Myriam a call and I couldn't help breaking down. She is such a strong woman with an incredible faith. She reminded me that he is in a better place and will always be looking over us. Oscar knew how much we all loved him and went peacefully in her arms. This morning, Brittany, Laura-Catherine, and I went over to her apartment for breakfast. There were moments of laughter and tears as we reminisced. I'm sure church tomorrow won't be the same, but I know he will be there with us.
I hope everyone had a great time ringing in the new year. Feliz 2010 from Bogota. I will soon post an update on my incredible trip to the amazon with Sam. Please keep Myriam, Oscar's mother and family, the church community, and all of those who knew and loved him in your prayers.

Love, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment